Friday, February 19, 2010

Foods that keep me going

This was a crazy busy week, hubby out of town, work deadlines looming. Couldn't get to gym. Luckily hubby doesn't travel often, so next week, I am there. I started this list a while ago. It helps remind me what good options I have to eat.

This is a partial list of things I eat on this weight loss journey. Most of these things are things I ate before I started this journey, but then I also ate additional junk too!

Egg beaters - usually with some Pam spray, leftover veggies, and a slice of soy cheese.

Herbal tea/unsweetened ice tea - In the cold months I have different flavored herbal teas throughout the day. During the warm months I always have a homemade pitcher of unsweetened iced tea available.

Oatmeal - old fashioned oats with a spoonful of peanut butter and a splash of almond or soy milk. Just saw this Custard Oats Primer at Finding Radiance that I'm going to try!

Oatmeal smoothie - This is how I eat my summer oatmeal. 1/2 cup oatmeal, cup of soy milk or other milk, cinammon, maybe half a banana. Very thick and filling. Yum!

Fiber one - filling! Usually I have this midmorning if I've had the egg beaters, I'll have some fiber one later in the morning, but never after oatmeal.

Nonfat greek yogurt - Yum! Sometimes plain, sometimes with a chopped up apple or other fruit. Could spring come and expand my fresh fruit options, please?

Avocados - I love avocados! Love them when they are ripe and I'll take 1/2 an avocado and mix with a little lowfat may and spread on toast. Sometimes add a slice of turkey.

Salad - I'm trying to get out of the lettuce tomato spray dressing rut. I think today I may have some chopped turkey on my salad at lunchtime.

Bag o'cabbage - I spray a pot with some canola oil spray, put in 1/2 a bag shredded cabbage, add a wee bit of salt, and then turn up the heat. Stir for a few minutes, then lower the heat and cover the pot for about 5 minutes. Sometimes I'll have this as a side or add a chopped up veggie burger or veggie crumbles (aka fake meat) to it. Back in the day, I would have the cabbage with a veggie burger and pasta for a power meal.

Soup - I love soup! Try to keep some tasty low sodium options in the pantry. My husband made some leek potato soup that I'm going to eat soon. Yum.

Popcorn - When I am very hungry and just feel like stuffing my face, I will eat a whole bag of popcorn. It's a safe vice, makes me feel like I've eaten a lot. I try to make it myself via the Alton Brown method: Put 1/4 kernels in a brown paper bag. You can put oil in, I don't. Fold over the top of the bag a few times. Alton says to use a staple, I don't. Microwave for a few minutes, listen carefully for when it slows. I sprinkle with a teaspoon of olive oil and spray a little Canola oil spray on and then salt, garlic powder, parmesan cheese, whatever you like. Yum! Healthier than the packaged microwave popcorns.

Kale chips and roasted chickpeas - Love these! You may not, I think it is an acquired taste. See the recipes here at FatFree Vegan Kitchen here.

Veggies - Luckily I love all kinds of vegetables. Dinner for me is usually what I serve me family, chicken, fish, lean turkey and a big salad or lots of vegetables. I usually try not to do carbs at dinner unless we're having a pasta dish. Some recent departures for me: Roasted eggplant with garlic and brussel sprouts (shredded in the food processor and sauteed for a few minutes with garlic and canola oil).




No comments:

Post a Comment